Tuesday, February 11, 2014

Watch and Pray - Matthew 26


Have you read Matthew 26:36-46?  After reading it my first thought was "who would keep watch for me?"  But my second thought was "Can I be trusted to keep watch for my friends/spouse/family?"  Honestly, I think I could be trusted with the task of keeping watch for my folks.  But can I go a bit deeper?  (Of course I can, it's my blog!)

Revelation #1:  If the disciples had stayed awake would that change the outcome?  Honestly, I don't know.  I think that Jesus would have still been arrested, wrongly convicted, and crucified.  But sometimes you need your crew to stand with you.  Yes, you still have your own journey.  Yes, you have to do some things alone.  But often you can draw strength from the cheers, prayers, and encouragement of your friends.  Do you have people in your circle that will encourage you?  Do you encourage others?

Revelation #2: Can I be trusted to "keep watch" for Jesus?  Ummm, my track record is shakey.  I do some things but not everything that He asks of me.  I do the things that are easy and that don't stretch me.  I do the things that require little faith.  I have to do better.  While "the spirit is willing but the flesh is weak" is an honest statement, it is also an excuse.  After Jesus was arrested I wonder how many disciples wished that they had stayed awake to get those last few minutes in His presence.  I don't want the "hour to come" and realize that I squandered the time that I could have spent with Him.


No comments:

Post a Comment